The Russian Maritime Register of Shipping (the RS) provides the services to confirm the compliance of packagings for dangerous goods (including large and special packagings, intermediate bulk containers (IBC)) with the requirements of the International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code IMDG Code and the provisions of the Model Regulations of the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods.
According to IMDG Code, the RS is appointed by the national competent authority for approval, acceptance and all subsequent actions related to IBC and packagings submitted for registration in the Russian Federation.
To start providing the services, the Customer shall apply to the RS with a request to confirm the compliance of packagings for dangerous goods.
The Customer shall inform the Register of all production sites where the packaging is manufactured that is declared for the confirmation of the type compliance.
If the Customer is not a manufacturer of packagings for dangerous goods, then, when confirming the compliance of the serially-produced packagings, the Customer shall be authorized by the manufacturer (which shall be documented) to:
- submit technical documentation for the RS to exam and approve or to use the RS-approved technical documentation
- organize the relevant surveys including the survey of production within the required scope
- organize the testing of packagings within the required scope.
The Register applies two procedures for compliance confirmation:
- confirmation of compliance of serially-produced packaging
- confirmation of compliance of packaging lot
The procedure for confirmation of compliance of serially-produced packagings is applied when confirming the compliance of packagings that are serially-produced under the Register’s technical supervision.
The procedure of confirmation of compliance of packaging lot is applied:
- when confirming the compliance of the packaging lot which at the time of confirmation of compliance has already been manufactured without the Register’s technical supervision
- when confirming the compliance of packagings manufactured individually under the Register’s technical supervision
- when confirming the compliance of packagings that, according to IMDG Code, require that the Register shall certify each piece of packagings.
Certificates can be revoked:
- in cases provided for by the General Conditions for Rendering Services by the Register;
- if a design of the packaging, its properties, etc. have been changed without an agreement with the Register;
- if the operational suitability of the packaging is not provided and the IMDGC requirements are not met.
The revocation is carried out by removing the information on the Certificate from the Register official website.
List of issued certificates for packaging type
List of issued certificates for packaging lot